Monday, May 16, 2011

•:*Japanese Calligraphy Workshop*:•

I really enjoyed taking the Japanese calligraphy class offered by Chisato Koike. The instructor was very knowledgable about the techniques encompassed within Japanese Calligraphy, also known as shodo. She was very friendly and kept complimenting our work (even if it was horrible). I loved it! I felt like I was in kindergarten again with my teacher saying, "Great job!" and "that's beautiful! It's not very often that we get nice compliments like that anymore from Professors. Chisato had a couple of assistants who showed us how to draw the kanji's and went around helping us one by one.

I couldn't believe how difficult it was! We learned how to hold the brush and the different techniques used to make the brush strokes. The brush strokes are extremely precise and each stroke has its own unique characteristics.

At the end of the workshop, we were able to create a kanji of our choice and keep it as a keepsake. I chose to do this one!


Good Fortune/Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment