Wednesday, April 6, 2011

•:*The Design Process - Reading 1*:•


            After reading the Preface and Acknowledgements in The Design Process by Karl Aspelund, I find myself with a newfound appreciation for this volume’s creation. My first thought of this book was that it was going to be just like any other textbook I’ve been required to purchase. However, this volume comes from twenty years of experience from an established designer and practitioner and was not created merely to present information, but rather, it serves to engage the reader. Aspelund walks students through the entire design process starting with the initial inspiration and ending with production. He aims to break down the design process into seven sections with a number of subsections so students and practitioners alike can review any part of the process at any given time. This break down will help students understand each step of the process in greater detail with greater success.
            As a graphic design student, I know I will benefit tremendously from this volume because it is meant to be used as a guide. I’ll be able to use this guide with my present projects as well as future projects. If I decide somewhere down the road to become a practitioner myself I will also be able to use this guide in my teachings. I can utilize the information contained within this volume for years to come.
            Design is not a constant, but the design process, for the most part, remains constant; one starts with an idea, thought, or concept and ends with a final product. Design is dynamic and is constantly evolving to reflect changes in our society and the way in which we view our world.
            This volume will more than likely be replaced by newer editions or other works by other authors, but I will always be able to refer back to this volume for guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment