Thursday, April 7, 2011

•:*April 6 – Day 4*:•


             Today’s class began a little differently than other days. Instead of starting class sitting in our regular seats, Jimmy had us rearrange the desks and bring all the chairs to the front of the class. I sat on the opposite side of the class from where I normally sit (on a stool nonetheless) and to be honest, it felt very strange. I’m not used to sitting on that side of the class, but it was a nice change; I was able to experience the class from a different perspective.
            After arranging the seats, Jimmy showed us a video about AIGA and we discussed the local Los Angeles chapter and Gauge at CSULA. I knew nothing about Gauge before today and I’m glad one of their members, Rene, came out to our class to discuss who they are and what they do. I think it will be extremely beneficial to become a member and it’s a great way to network with other students and employers. I’m excited to learn more about the graphic design program at CSULA through the eyes of fellow students.
            Aside from the AIGA video and the Gauge presentation, today’s main topics included mind maps and one of the TED Talks from Scott McCloud. We were able to watch Scott McCloud in action giving a presentation on Comics and it was interesting to see how he presents and how he engages the audience. Mind mapping is like a variation of traditional brainstorming diagrams. Mind maps are more radial in nature and they contain much more information on the central topic. Mind maps allow one to create an ever growing diagram that stems from one idea and grows as more thoughts come to mind about the main idea. Jimmy asked us to produce a mind map in class in which we were to work for half an hour. I chose to create a mind map about Beautification – Why Do It? I think the topic of beautification correlates directly with design because it incorporates different avenues of design like fashion design, graphic design, package design, jewelry design, etc. I'm looking forward to working on it further.
            The last thing we discussed in class was the Scott McCloud video which I will discuss in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment